Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pause. Unplug.


Anyone who knows me well knows that I don't watch much tv. Granted, I love me a good zombie show and certainly have seen every single Star Trek and Stargate episode (including all the cheesy spin offs.) But as the years go by, I find myself watching fewer and fewer shows.

A month or so back, I found myself couch ridden with a nasty, lingering cold. As I had a DVR jam-packed with Jetsons and Flintstones episodes, I was forced out into the realm of live tv. And what I found was it sucked. The channels were littered with the vapid (Real Housewives of Anywhere, this means you), the alarming (all those house hunting shows where people are encouraged to get in over their heads in debt), and the morally bankrupt (16 and Pregnant, Teen Mom and their ilk.) I ended up watching a fifteen year old movie instead.

When the next cable bill came, it was just downright irritating that we were paying about $110 per month for the privilege of having a program guide filled with things we wouldn't ever watch.

So we did something a little radical. We got rid of cable. All of it.

Now if you dig those shows, don't take offense. We're free market capitalists around here. I would never attempt to stop Cox Cable from airing these programs, I just won't pay for them. Of course, we can still stream Netflix and have DVD players - we're not going completely Luddite on you. And they can have my internet access when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. But I'm feeling pretty done with tv.

We'll see how it works out. Maybe we'll come crawling back to Hollywood, begging forgiveness for our insolence. But somehow I doubt it. Especially since as I drove away from Cox, with a big old smile on my face, having dropped off our DVRs and remotes, I felt fantastic.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you, Katie! Now, you have more time to work on your fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm cheering you on! Loved "vapid... alarming... morally bankrupt." Yes indeed.

    So who do you have internet through?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We kept Cox for internet. I've had my email address for almost 12 years and am loathe to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!! I would love to do that but I am pretty sure my husband would divorce me! I loathe paying that bill each month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TV rots the brain. It makes my children grumpy. We are streaming netflix and pandora through ours these days. congrats on cutting the umbilical cord.

    ReplyDelete