Friday, March 18, 2011

Just a Glimpse

All school year, Morrigan and her classmates have been practicing for Minds in Motion. It is a primarily 4th grade, several school dance production. And if you have been listening to Morrigan, it is the also bane of her existence. She has (surprise) complained incessantly about practice, the way she had to wear her hair, how tired it made her etc. They had a preview a few weeks ago with only the kids from her school and, truth be told, it seemed a little odd and new-agey. Thus far, zero family members impressed.

Thursday was the big performance with all the other schools at the Roanoke Civic Center. Seeing as we weren't all that excited about going and she couldn't stop talking about how much she didn't want to go, I was seriously considering calling in "sick" that day. Why waste all of our time. But Morrigan had been so difficult and oppositional that in the end, I thought going to the performance, no matter how painful, would pale in comparison to dragging her around all day. As an added bonus, they would take her to the Civic Center after school and we didn't have to pick her up until after the show at 8pm. Well played City schools - she will be there.

Still, I was expecting very little. Tim stayed behind with the other two and I went to the show alone. But after watching her smiling onstage and seeing all 400 odd kids together, it did seem worth it. I was totally wrong. Honestly, they really shouldn't have the preview - it didn't do the actual performance justice. When I retrieved Morrigan from the designated child-release area, she was bubbly and happy. She detailed the afternoon of practice, what she had for dinner, and how much fun it was on stage. 

We climbed into the Jeep and, at Morrigan's request, had the windows down. It had been 70 degrees all day and was still gorgeous out. The drive home was heavenly. She gushed excitedly about the new dress I bought her for the Father-Daughter dance the next night, in spite of not having seen it yet. I told her she could exchange it if she didn't like it and she assured me, "I know you picked out something just perfect!" I was beginning to wonder if they had drugged her.

The warm wind was blowing in and we were singing Lady Gaga at the top of our lungs as we drove along - "I'm beautiful in my way, cause God makes no mistakes. I'm on the right track baby I was born this way." We hadn't had so much fun together in ages. No surly. No complaining.

We arrived home and she spent the next hour chatting happily and being absolutely delightful. And at that moment I realized that every once in a while, we're given just enough of the child we really want to have to keep us from killing the one we have the rest of the time.

In spite of my hopes to the contrary, it was all back to baseline the next morning but that little glimpse of what may be was enough to keep me going. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment