Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Four Hours at the Transportation Museum is Overkill


E's class had a field trip to the Transportation Museum on Monday. I asked when I filled out the permission slip if he wanted me to go and he replied "yep!" Foolishly I signed up and arrived at the school at 9am only to find we would be there for four hours. 

Really?

Now, I think we have a top notch transportation museum. This is a railroad town after all. But four hours? I was hard pressed to see how you could be there for more than two. A teacher's assistant told me, "Oh yeah, this is the most boring field trip ever but it is free so the city makes us go." When I asked why she failed to tell me this in advance, she told me, "Duh, you wouldn't have come." Well played indeed.


And it was boring, for me and the kids. It should have been condensed to an hour or two. But E was happy I was there and truthfully, I bailed 2 1/2 hours in, just after lunch. Before I made my escape, I asked E if leaving would cause me to lose my Mother of the Year Award. He said "Yep!" Call me a bad Mommy, but I could live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment