Friday, June 17, 2011

I'm Just Not A Horse Person


I've come to the conclusion that you either are or are not a horse person. It is hard coded in your DNA. I just don't think you can be a person who isn't much for horses but then spends some time with them and thinks, "Yeah, this is for me." I am most definitely not a horse person. How am I so sure? Because I spent the entire time at the end of camp horse show thinking that this whole scene was too dusty, smelly, dirty, fly covered and did I mention smelly. And with advance apologies to all you horse types out there, I don't find them especially pretty animals.

On the plus side, Morrigan really came a long way this year, looked like she was having the time of her life and there were lots of kitties.


Morrigan was able to walk and trot on the rail unassisted. She received a blue ribbon and while there were some red ribbons so I know it wasn't an everyone-in-first-place scene, there was a girl who nearly bit it and also got a blue ribbon. But I really don't know what I am talking about anyway. I have no earthly idea for what the judge was looking.


What I do most definitely know is we are in a quandary here. Morrigan came running up as soon as we arrived, letting me know they had private lessons for (only) $35 a half hour. And could she please, please, please ride year round? I do want to be supportive of activities in which she wants to participate. But realistically, horses are an expensive gig. And more importantly, if she progresses, I have ZERO interest in driving all over hell's half acre going to horse shows I despise that are, have I mentioned, pretty pricey. Some horse people friends of mine have told me tales of $500 horse blankets and several times weekly jaunts to Lexington and let me tell you, it ain't happening around here.


So do we just shut it down right off the bat and turn down that sweet girl? Or do we let her go forward knowing full well that finances and lack of maternal interest will eventually cut her equestrian career short? I wish I knew what the right answer was. Maybe she can just go to another week of camp.....

No comments:

Post a Comment