Sunday, November 6, 2011

Schoolhouse Rock

We're about two weeks into The Great Homeschool Experiment and I can tell you two things with absolute certainty:

1) My house is WAY dirtier and messier than before

and

2) We totally made the right decision.

And by right decision, let me make sure we don't confuse that with an easy decision. My life has changed drastically. Tennis time is down, hell everything but Eion time is down. I find myself in the position where I am going to have to figure out when to Christmas shop for the first time in years. Even when the kids were wee, I had a few hours of Mother's Day Out to myself. Now, it is me and E, all day, every day. And as I can feel right now that spot between my shoulders that seems perpetually tight these days, it is not without wear on me.

That being said, this is exactly what the little guy needed. He is motoring through any and all topics I give him. The math, social studies, spelling and science take next to no time to complete. Reading is still our biggest struggle but we have gone from a child who had no interest in reading to one who is trying to read signs and sound out words all day. He makes spelling jokes and finds the Dick and Jane readers hilarious. While we might question his sense of humor, he's on the right track. Tim heard him reading the other day and commented that he seems to have made more progress in the last week than he had in the first 6 weeks of school. I think he's right.

Not to mention, while I think I will really miss time alone (or alone with Tim,) Eion has been such a great guy lately. We went to lunch on Friday and the waitress stopped me to comment on what a "sweet and darling" child E was. Eion! The extra sleep and homeschool structure appear to suit him just fine.

He even was receptive to school on Sunday when I explained that we wouldn't be working tomorrow since it was field trip day! The Governor and Attorney General of Virginia are going to be in town so we are going to (hopefully) meet them. (Not to mention I have a tennis match and a hair appointment.)

Upheaval may be the word of the week but we're going to deem it all for good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so very happy for you all. And if I haven't made it clear enough already, I totally support your decision. As I see it, E will have PLENTY of opportunity to learn each and every one of the "lessons" that being a proper public school minion requires. I applaud you for altering your life. Next up is finding a compatible homeschool parent willing to swap you out a couple hrs a wk so as to allow for Christmas shopping, etc.

    ReplyDelete