Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The First Week Back

Back to school has been lovely. With E's homeschooling, it had been a good ten months since I had too much time on my hands. Now, my days stretch before me, seemingly too long to fill. As I have also managed to unload any and all PTA responsibilities (for the moment anyway - Amy is PTA pres next year and I think I'll be back in then,) I have lots of freedom and it is much appreciated. 

But before I regale you with what I have been up to, the kids....


Eion is weathering his return to the system about as expected. He has reminded me daily that he wants to be in 2nd grade with all his friends. I have replied daily that this is the Way Things Are Going To Be. He is (mostly) behaving. The schoolwork is a breeze. The social interactions are not. Days one and two were largely without incident but today he did try to climb the fence and make a break for it at recess. One day at a time.

Maggie chose to wear her suit and sparkly red shoes on the first day. She looked so grown up and proud of herself. She told me, "You know what I love most about this outfit? It was only $6!" [It was a Goodwill find.] I love that child. Naturally, she is happy, she loves everything about the 4th grade and comes home smiling everyday.

Morrigan is, wait for it, sunny and delightful! Middle school is, so far, treating her right. She is excited about her classes, her Independence, and all the new opportunities available to her. She's planning on joining the tennis club and the technology club [think modern AV squad.] Knowing how god-awful middle school can be, I feel fortunate for each and every day that goes well. 

Tim has had the last three days off and we have reveled in the quiet house and unrestricted free time. Tuesday we went on an eight mile walk and out to lunch. The trek and food (Local Roots, a favorite) were outstanding. Sadly, I am out of practice for the death marches and was betrayed by my shoes, resulting in several ginormous blisters. So if you see me with tape all over my feet, you know why. But it was worth it and I plan to be in fighting form soon. That and I just ordered new hiking shoes from Zappos.

This morning, Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan was in Roanoke.

He's really in killer shape.

We went to hear him speak and were duly impressed. He spoke without a teleprompter and directly to my conservative heart. We ran into bunches of our right-wing pals and there were free cookies to boot. Another much enjoyed morning.

I signed up for a Tai Chi class for the next six Wednesdays. The first session was today. I was the youngest person there but easily twenty years but I enjoyed it. AND I managed not to bust out laughing when Tim mocked me from the hallway doing the crane stance a la Karate Kid. 

Tim's back at work tomorrow so I'll have to fill my time alone. I know I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously you need to buy a bike so you can spend hours of your newfound free time with *moi*! xoxo (and bless you for your recognition of next year's impending obligations :)

    ReplyDelete