Friday, November 22, 2013

Imagine Lunacy

The local art museum is running Yoko Ono's Imagine Peace exhibit. Finding ourselves downtown with 15 minutes to kill before the Indian restaurant opened, Tim and I decided we needed to check it out.

Now, I'm pretty neutral on Yoko. While I don't fall into the camp that loves her as an artist, I assume this camp exists somewhere, I don't hate her as some sort of Beatles destroying monster either. Mostly, I just find her a bit odd but I appreciate that she is able to keep herself relevant for all these years considering her major accomplishment seems to be hooking up with John Lennon.


We were able to blow through the majority of the exhibit rather quickly as it was pretty much gear like this:



I don't want to be the one to break it to her, but war seems 
to be thriving with bi-partisan support these days.

[Apologies for the poor picture quality. They wouldn't let me take any photos so I had to rip these off the internet.]

And several bowls with complimentary souvenirs like "imagine peace" buttons and the chance to stamp  a piece of paper!

What's next, one of those labelers that you turned 
the dial and imprinted letters on sticky strips?

Personally, I passed on both of these. I'm no hawk, but when I see those "War is not the answer" bumper stickers, my first response is that it really depends on the question. Busting around with imagine peace on my lapel just didn't seem like authentic Katie.

While the galleries were underwhelming, this was filling the allotted time frame nicely. We had just about finished when we noticed the last room, which seemed to be running a movie. We figured f*ck it, we have five more minutes and went in. 

As we entered, there was another bowl containing mini flashlight key chains. Now those are something with which I can get on board! Much like nail clippers, flashlights should be found in every drawer in my house. I grabbed one for each family member. 


Note to self, do dust the counter before taking pictures you plan to make public.

We were the only people in the gallery, unless you count the guard, who checked on us no fewer than five times. Perhaps he was concerned we were going to take more than our fair share of Onochords. Our solitude was a good thing, seeing as I was compelled to snark and laugh throughout. The film was about Yoko's plan and execution of the "Imagine Peace Tower," a large beam of light located somewhere in Iceland. [See exhibit A.]

Quick, someone calculate the carbon footprint of that baby!

There are times that I really do wish I could watch something like this and think how great it is, spreading the message of peace and hope - how inspiring! But then I quickly come to my senses and recognize this for the vanity project it is. Not to mention a colossal waste of resources. But as long as they are her resources, meh. 

More important to our story, however, is the Onochord. The film had Yoko at a series of press conferences, presumably about the aforementioned vanity project, encouraging people to use flashlights to send a coded message to everyone around you, "I love you." Now, I'm sure you are thinking she was using Morse code to relay said message. Ah but you have forgotten that the 60's were good to Ms. Ono and she has spent the years since in a bubble, sheltered by a sizable trust fund. Morse code would be too pedestrian.

Instead, she demonstrated, over and over, to crowds seemingly amused by her suggestion, that this is how you Onochord "I love you:"

flash
flash flash
flash flash flash

Then the various audiences were prompted to join in. There were a lot of people looking at each other with a she-can't-be-serious look.

She was.

I think my favorite part of the movie, apart from the still of Lennon in one hell of a shirt, was the opening of the Imagine Peace Tower when Ringo Starr openly mocked the whole flashy-I love you presentation. 


Me and Ringo, we have an inside joke.

Then it was off to lunch without a second thought about the whole gig. Until, that is, we presented the kids with their Onochords and Tim taught them the code. Soon, I was being ambushed by all members of the family, declaring their love in a very luminescent way. And once one person started, it was like a chain effect until the whole family was at it.

flash
flash flash
flash flash flash

Well played Ono, well played.


No comments:

Post a Comment