Sunday, November 10, 2013

More Family Hiking

After last week's success, I was feeling quite giddy about the new found love of hiking. Determined to use momentum in our favor, we planned a hike to McAfee's Knob, one of the most photographed points on the Appalachian Trail. As luck would have it, our friends King and Fiona were also planning to hike there this weekend. So we coordinated and all went together.

The children who opted to hike with us.

Much like last week, Morrigan immediately took off on her own, determined to be the first up the mountain. The rest of us took a bit longer. It has been a few years since I hiked here. I remembered it was easier going than Sharp Top but forgot how long it was (about 8 miles round-trip.) With some cajoling, we did all reach the summit.

One of our many rests.

Morrigan makes it all so much more exciting too. Seeing as she darted off at the trail head, you have the entire 2 1/2 hour hike up the mountain wondering, "Did my child get hopelessly lost in the woods?" or "Could she have met with a real life Jason?" Fortunately, she was, quite impatiently, waiting for us at top. And she was ready to go back down long before we arrived. "Great. A bunch of rocks and a view." Talk about missing the big picture.

Look at all that family happiness. 
(And that very Pat Benatar-esque headband.)

As was the case last weekend, we weren't the only ones with this bright idea. Hence the above photo without the beautiful view in the background. The place was packed! I did manage to get one of our friends with said view though.

They were tall enough to black all the coeds behind them.

Before we went, we looked at some pictures online. Eion was terrified of the drop off and concerned about the lack of fencing. To the point of tears really. But by the time we were up there, that anxiety was no more.


He happily went right up to the edge. When I suggested he be careful, I was informed I was not being very free-range. Touche.

After about 4 1/2 hours hiking, we all slept well last night.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful views! I've been wanting to go hiking so badly this fall. I even had a trip planned to Grandfather Mountain and we ended up having to cancel. You have inspired me and I'm determined to do it!

    ReplyDelete