Friday, January 3, 2014

What? Your New Year's Eve Doesn't End at 10pm?

A few weeks back, I was talking with Ann about how we had no plans for NYE. I told her I'd be happy to host but had no interest in staying up until 1 or 2am. Give me a party that ends at bedtime, I am in. This also suited Ann and the email went out about the potluck, ending early night. Figured if the pre midnight  cutoff was an irritant, people could choose not to come.

Either everyone else is as lame as I am, and by lame I mean smart, or it was the best offer out there. Project early to bed was a go!

Fast forward to December 30th. Maggie came home from wrestling practice (the tournament has not stopped her) vomiting. Hmmm. So she was in bed by 7:30 with a bucket at her side. Come 9am, she was still not moving and it was clear an email had to go out. We fully debriefed the guests and said we would be back with updates as they became available. Though Fiona graciously offered to take over hosting duties, Maggie was soon up and back in the healthy world.

As Fiona and her family had already been extensively exposed to Mags in the last 24 hours, they decided there was no reason to stay away. An email update later, we were back in action. A few people decided not to risk it but most rolled the dice.

The little girls

We had dinner, talked, laughed and had it all wrapped up by 10:30. I loved it.

And the grownup girls

On New Year's Day, as I had encounters with those who were up late into the night and, while it may not be for all, ending early suited me fine.

Hope the new year rang in healthy and happy for your family and best wishes for 2014.

1 comment:

  1. We had pizza and watched the Fiesta Bowl. Sound asleep by 12:10! And we all felt great the next morning. I think "lame" is the new "hip!" Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete