Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My 25th High School Reunion

We spent Memorial Day weekend in Boston for my 25th high school reunion. But wait, you say, scratching your head, you've never mentioned living in Massachusetts. And you're right, I didn't live there. But I did spend three years in high school living in France, attending the American School of Paris. Our student body was from all over the US and the world and most of us left Paris and went back to our hometowns. Makes for some interesting reunion planning.

Luckily, we had a few motivated gals in my graduating class who took it upon themselves to put this weekend together. As with all ASP reunions, even if they are geared towards a certain year, and and all former students are welcome to attend, even if they didn't graduate from the school.

Sweet Tim drove me and the children in some of the worst weather EVER for 11 hours to get there. We had built in an extra day to go sightseeing and arrived before many of the other attendees. We took the kids on a Duck Tour, which they loved.



You obtain a lot of info about Boston in a short period but it is in a car that is also a boat so the kids think it is, in Morrigan's words, "legit." We also went to the North End to eat where we had some delicious Italian and Mike's Pastry. Nom nom nom!


We finished our sightseeing with the USS Constitution. While historical, the kids liked it anyway. Might have had something to do with the cannons.


By the time we arrived back at the hotel, my phone was dinging non-stop with texts from fellow alumni getting ready for the evening's events. We had a gathering at Harpoon Brewery. It was outstanding.

We got to try all the experimental beers, which was fun. But better yet, everyone there was excited to see everyone. Not an unhappy camper in the bunch. Many of my besties were there, which made it even better.


John, me, Rachel, Alexandra and Joel

And there was a surprise appearance from Billy, a close friend with whom I had completely lost touch. Turns out he lives near Mom and Dad! Who knew?

Kathryn, me and Billy

The next day, Alexandra, who lives in Boston, had us all over for brunch. Her step daughter was Maggie's age and John's son and Eion were intellectual equals, so the kids and the adults were happy.

All fancy and Instagramy

It also allowed a few of the spouses, who had not attended the first night, to get to know some of us before being plunged into The Reunion: Part Deux.

We were at Legal Seafood on Saturday night and while much of the crowd was the same, there were some additions.


It was, again, so much fun. We were out way past our bedtime but it was well worth it! Tim, for his part, seemed to have a pretty good time. I had several people come up to me and volunteer that I had such a fun and entertaining husband. I like him too!

One of the most amusing things was how all the spouses had stories about having visited Paris with their ASP alumni and how we had all dragged them on our own tour of the eighties with important stops like our old apartments, the dive bar at which we hung out, and our school. I had incorrectly assumed that I was the only one torturing their husband that way!

Two guys who were in my brother's class, middle school at the time, made an appearance and we reminisced fondly about how much time they spent at our place. Actually, they told me and I said, "You were at my house a lot?" "Yes," they told me, "but you were never home." This is true. 

By the end of the night, we had friends, both who were close and those that weren't really in my crowd, insisting that when we were in their town, we had to get together. Naturally, I extended the same offer, but none of them pass through Roanoke much. And one of the organizers was in happy tears that everything had worked out so well and we had all been able to reconnect. ASP is a different kind of place. Even if it was only a few years of your life, we all feel a special bond. I can't really explain why!

Alexandra was already planning next year, in Paris, for their class' 25th. Hmmm, might have to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment