Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Go Bombers!

Last year when I signed Eion up for soccer, I contacted a friend who I knew coached a rec league team and asked if he would have E on his team. This was for several reasons, all selfish. I knew all the parents from this team and better yet, the coaches. I knew they would be nice as we moved our way along the learning curve.



What I had no way of knowing was that we were joining The Team. This is the third or fourth season that they are undefeated. Last season, they were the younger kids in the age group and we had a couple of close calls, including a tie, which the boys are quick to remind you, does not mar their undefeated record. But now on the older end of the spectrum, we haven't seen any tight games. The last few have been bloodbaths where I honestly lost track of how many goals the Bombers scored.


Eion is not what you might call a powerhouse, but he is always happy and certainly enjoys winning. It is even better this year because we run across his friends on other teams, which Eion sees as an opportunity to socialize, often mid game.

Don't worry Ned, they'll get along fine without me.

Our coaches have been great. All along, even last year in the tight games, they made sure everyone played at least two quarters. This year presented new challenges as they had to prevent the boys from running up the score. One game, the coach essentially had them running passing drills during the game. It effectively slowed down the game and minimized goals. 

The strategy I liked even better was employed in the last game. Comfortably up 9 - 0, the coach had the team routinely pass to the weaker players all during the second half. Eion told me the plan was that he was going to get a goal. He didn't, but as long as a slurpee was waiting out there for him, he didn't care much.


1 comment:

  1. One of the strategies that I used when coaching was to tell the players they could only score with the head OR with the opposite (usually the left) foot.
    In addition, I warned that if they EVER mentioned that to the other tema they would have to set on the bench the rest of the game and the following game as well
    The objective was to continue playing well but not to run up the score
    This was more than 30 years ago, they still remember and even better, they now are coaching with the same philosophy

    ReplyDelete