Thursday, March 12, 2015

Inching Ever Closer to Costa Rica

About a week ago, it dawned on me that we really needed to make sure we had all the appropriate gear for Costa Rica. The shopping around here is pretty much limited, our Gap even closed recently, and you never know how mail order is going to work out.

Eion - he was all set! We are blessed with many hand me downs and he needs not a thing. Would that it were the case for everyone else.

Maggie needed little - just some new pool coverups and a rash guard. I needed a couple of skorts for zip lining or anything for which a sundress was no good.

Then there was Morrigan. She's grown the most out of any of the kids and had almost nothing that fit. She and I, well, we don't shop well together. It probably has to do with the fact that I don't much care to shop anyway and I'm trying to make her dress in a practical, read: old woman, way. So I came up with the brilliant idea to send her to the mall with her friends and a budget. Katie, I told myself, you are a genius!

And I felt that way right up until I picked her and her friend up four hours later, finding she had not purchased shorts.

Me: What do you mean you didn't get shorts?
Morrigan: I couldn't find any.
Me: You only had four things on your list: sundress, shorts, shirts, and a bathing suit!
Friend: In her defense, all the shorts we saw were way too short for your taste.

Hmm. It turned rather ugly when I more closely examined the contents of her bags and found a sweater - a really winter weight one, a long sleeve shirt, and hand wash only dress. Not to mention, a strapless bikini, normally fine but we are surfing. Having had my own girls escape in the ocean (and waterparks and just about everywhere else) I knew this was less than ideal.

Arguing ensured. Followed by tears.

Then I looked online at some of the stores in our mall and found a dazzling display of shorts seemingly designed to cover absolutely nothing.

I started to feel that maybe I had over-reacted. And such feelings led me to let her keep the unseasonal gear, though really that might just have been wanting to minimize my mall time the next day by not having returns. We found some suitable but fashionable shorts at American Eagle Outfitters and were most of the way there.

The bad news was we had to mail order one of the hardest things to fit, another bathing suit. So it was off to Zappos, land of free shipping and returns. I was shocked, shocked I tell you, when the box came today and everything - swimsuit, rash guard, and size narrow shoes, always a tough one, fit. It must be karma for keeping my sanity in the mall.

Only 20 more days...

1 comment:

  1. good job! I just ordered sophie's dress from Nordstroms after failing in 2 stores in RKE and not wanting to endure another second looking at tacky dresses. You really don't need much in CR. It's super casual. I would go with a suit that won't fall off when surfing, a cover up, 1 pair of shorts, tshirts, and flip flops. have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete