Sunday, May 15, 2016

Hiking Cascade Falls



Not being satisfied with one day of getting the kids out, I corralled the girls into a hike today. Eion was adamant he stay home and we decided to oblige him.

How I picked Cascade Falls - we did this hike as a family about five years ago. I knew it was not too challenging and the entire hike was lined with rhododendrons. I've been keeping an eye on the blooms here and, since this is near Blacksburg, which is routinely a bit colder than us, it seemed they should be in full bloom.

 

Reality worked out just a bit different. The trail was over an hour away, longer than I remembered. This was not well received. It was colder, so much so that there were some immediate complaints. And I had completely miscalculated when the rhododendrons' bloom cycle. They were completely done. So much for the beautiful color display I promised!


But we had fun anyway. By the time we made it back to the car, everyone was all smiles. Score another victory for family memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment